[Geany] Options Regex and Escape sequences

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Oct 15 13:53:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:34:28 +0200, Gregor Geiermann
<gregor.geiermann at net-federation.de> wrote:

Hi,

first: to post to this list and to receive further answers, you need to
subscribe to this list.
To subscribe just visit
http://lists.uvena.de/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/geany and fill in your
email address. Thanks.

>I need some advise with search and replace and newline with Geany.
>
>Consider the following lines:
>
>This is an example
>"line starting with quotes
>line starting without quotes
>
>I want to find every line that does NOT start with a quote and replace
>the new line character that preceed it. In other words, all lines not
>starting with a quote should be joined with the previous line.
>
>In Geany, when only using the Option "Use regular expressions", the \n
>pattern does not find any new line characters. When I only apply "Use
>escape sequences", it finds the new lines. But using both options
>together again does not work.
>
>As i need to find all lines not starting with a quote, I have to use a
>regex [^"] AND be able to find new lines...
>
>Am I missing some setting here or is it a bug, that "Use regular
>expression" does not recognize \n? Or is there another regex syntax
>for matching new lines that would work?

Geany (to be more exactly Scintilla) doesn't support regular
expressions on multiple lines. Regexps only work line per line.

This is also mentioned in the manual, see
http://geany.org/manual/0.15/#regular-expressions