[Geany] Options Regex and Escape sequences

Gregor Geiermann gregor.geiermann at xxxxx
Mon Oct 13 09:34:28 UTC 2008

Hi everybody,

I need some advise with search and replace and newline with Geany.

Consider the following lines:

This is an example
"line starting with quotes
line starting without quotes

I want to find every line that does NOT start with a quote and replace
the new line character that preceed it. In other words, all lines not
starting with a quote should be joined with the previous line.

In Geany, when only using the Option "Use regular expressions", the \n
pattern does not find any new line characters. When I only apply "Use
escape sequences", it finds the new lines. But using both options
together again does not work.

As i need to find all lines not starting with a quote, I have to use a
regex [^"] AND be able to find new lines...

Am I missing some setting here or is it a bug, that "Use regular
expression" does not recognize \n? Or is there another regex syntax for
matching new lines that would work?

Thanks for your help!
Gregor