[Geany] Generalisation of build system

Andy Elvey andy.elvey at xxxxx
Thu Oct 2 07:53:20 UTC 2008

Lex Trotman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We use several different build systems and need the build system
> interface to be generalised somewhat.  We use Jam, Waf, Scons make and
> others because we combine code from lots of sources.  Although we can
> change the commands there are still some hard coded bits that cause
> problems, eg some builders don't have all targets so make all menu
> action confuses them and one product uses a pre-processor before the
> C++ compiler and it  doesn't like the -o option so we can't use the
> compile menu item.
>
> I am willing to have a hack at the changes (provided time and ability
> permit) but it seemed sensible to check what is in progress or others
> are doing.
>
> The suggestions are:
>
> 1. make all the compile/link/build commands project specific, or from
> global settings if not defined for project
> 2. make all the commands entirely configurable, remove any magically
> included '-o' options for example
> 3. replace the build menu 'make all' and 'make target' with one 'build
> ->' with a submenu listing the available targets configurable from a
> dialog
> 4. have a set of global settings which make it work pretty much the
> same as it does now for make so as to not break existing stuff
> 5. (optional time permitting) have a set of templates which provide
> common setups and which can be selected at project creation
>
> Any thoughts/suggestions before we start would be welcome.
>
> Cheers
> Lex
  Hi Lex -
Although I'm very much a novice in the build area, I wonder if the
"CMake" app has been considered?  This is used by the KDE project (among
others).  It is apparently very powerful and flexible, but I can't
really confirm that (having not used it myself).
Just thought I'd mention it......   ;)
 - Andy