[Geany] Generalisation of build system

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Oct 2 07:25:13 UTC 2008

Hi,

We use several different build systems and need the build system interface
to be generalised somewhat.  We use Jam, Waf, Scons make and others because
we combine code from lots of sources.  Although we can change the commands
there are still some hard coded bits that cause problems, eg some builders
don't have all targets so make all menu action confuses them and one product
uses a pre-processor before the C++ compiler and it  doesn't like the -o
option so we can't use the compile menu item.

I am willing to have a hack at the changes (provided time and ability
permit) but it seemed sensible to check what is in progress or others are
doing.

The suggestions are:

1. make all the compile/link/build commands project specific, or from global
settings if not defined for project
2. make all the commands entirely configurable, remove any magically
included '-o' options for example
3. replace the build menu 'make all' and 'make target' with one 'build ->'
with a submenu listing the available targets configurable from a dialog
4. have a set of global settings which make it work pretty much the same as
it does now for make so as to not break existing stuff
5. (optional time permitting) have a set of templates which provide common
setups and which can be selected at project creation

Any thoughts/suggestions before we start would be welcome.