[Geany] Fortran fixed/free format

LUK ShunTim shuntim.luk at xxxxx
Mon Mar 17 03:15:08 UTC 2008

Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:53:19 +0100, Konstantinos Poulios
> <poulios.konstantinos at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> most important first: this is a mailing list. In order to receive
> further answers, you should subscribe to this list
> (http://lists.uvena.de/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/geany).
>
>> I have recently tried geany and I am really surprised of the work done
>> in this "small" IDE. It's definitely the nicest / most intuitive IDE I
>> have ever tried.
> Thanks.
>
>> [...]
>> At first one should repair the fortran free format by not truncating the
>> code lines. Or rather truncating them from the first column up to the
>> column defined in geany as maximum line length.
>> In the menu
>> Document->Set filetype -> Fortran Source File (F77)
>> the specification (F77) has also to be omitted (actually this statement
>> is anyway not 100% true).
>> As Compiler and Linker the "g77" option in "filetype.fortran" should be
>> replaced by "g95".
> So, after this change we actually support Fortran 95 (or however it is
> called). Currently we support a mix of both?
> I'm sorry for all this, I don't know Fortran at all. Someone requested
> this in the past(in August 2006) and I remember I asked which kind of
> the language to support.
>
>> In a second step, in order to also repair the fix format representation
>> one should  define two distinct filetypes one for the fix format and the
>> file extensions *.f, *.for, *.ftn and *.f77 and one for the free format
>> and the file extensions *.f90,*f95,*.f2k.
>> For the fix format filetype the lexer module lmf77 of LexerFortran.cxx
>> should be linked instead of lmfortran.
>> The g77 compiler should be used for compiling and linking.
> Hmmm, this is why I asked the person who originally requested Fortran
> support what is more often used nowadays. Because I didn't want to add
> two Fortran filetypes. Are we really both versions still used?

Yes. While new development may choose f9x, there's still a lot of legacy
f77 code which requires the fixed format, unfortunately.

> Regards,
> Enrico

The compiler setting is another thing, though. By now, gfortran should
be able to compile f77 code as well. (If not, file a bug; to gfortran,
of course  :-) to make it better.) Anyway, a user can always change the
setting to use whatever he/she needs.

Regards,
ST