[Geany] Fortran fixed/free format

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Mar 16 13:25:37 UTC 2008

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:53:19 +0100, Konstantinos Poulios
<poulios.konstantinos at googlemail.com> wrote:

Hi,

most important first: this is a mailing list. In order to receive
further answers, you should subscribe to this list
(http://lists.uvena.de/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/geany).

> I have recently tried geany and I am really surprised of the work done
> in this "small" IDE. It's definitely the nicest / most intuitive IDE I
> have ever tried.
Thanks.

> [...]
> At first one should repair the fortran free format by not truncating the
> code lines. Or rather truncating them from the first column up to the
> column defined in geany as maximum line length.
> In the menu
> Document->Set filetype -> Fortran Source File (F77)
> the specification (F77) has also to be omitted (actually this statement
> is anyway not 100% true).
> As Compiler and Linker the "g77" option in "filetype.fortran" should be
> replaced by "g95".
So, after this change we actually support Fortran 95 (or however it is
called). Currently we support a mix of both?
I'm sorry for all this, I don't know Fortran at all. Someone requested
this in the past(in August 2006) and I remember I asked which kind of
the language to support.

> In a second step, in order to also repair the fix format representation
> one should  define two distinct filetypes one for the fix format and the
> file extensions *.f, *.for, *.ftn and *.f77 and one for the free format
> and the file extensions *.f90,*f95,*.f2k.
> For the fix format filetype the lexer module lmf77 of LexerFortran.cxx
> should be linked instead of lmfortran.
> The g77 compiler should be used for compiling and linking.
Hmmm, this is why I asked the person who originally requested Fortran
support what is more often used nowadays. Because I didn't want to add
two Fortran filetypes. Are we really both versions still used?