[Geany] Some notes on Geanys project management

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Mar 4 13:13:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 07:45:28 -0500, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >  > Additionally, there is no need to enforce the extension of Geany
> >  > project files to ".geany". Users can and should be able to choose any
> >  > extension they like or no extension.
> >
> >  Maybe. But it makes finding a project file in the open dialog easier if
> >  it has the .geany extension.
>
> Allowing any extension for Geany project files is probably just
> configurability for configurability's sake. It's not really that much
> of a bother for users to use a specific filename extension for a very
> specific sort of file, IMO.
Hmmm, we have the default extension ".geany" for Geany project files.
So, specific extension for a specific filetype. It is just changeable
by an user who wants to change it.
As long as the user don't change it, it will be ".geany" and it will be
shown in the project open dialog (and even if not, the file filter can
still be changed to "All files").
In other words: why should we NOT allow the user to choose any other
extension if he wants to? The extension doesn't have any deeper meaning
at this point. So, why limit the user in his will?