[Geany] Some notes on Geanys project management

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Mar 4 13:13:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:31:58 +0000, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:02:48 +0100
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:49:23 +0000, Nick Treleaven
> > <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:02:58 +0000 (UTC)
> > > Joerg Desch <joerg.desch at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I agree, we should do this.
> > Really?
> > I don't like this. This reminds me of the ugly ".txt" problem with
> > Windows Notepad. In Windows XP(maybe also in versions before) you
> > can't save a file with Windows Notepad without the .txt extension.
> > This was driving me crazy several times and I really don't want to
> > add anything similar to Geany.
> > Additionally, there is no need to enforce the extension of Geany
> > project files to ".geany". Users can and should be able to choose any
> > extension they like or no extension.
>
> Maybe. But it makes finding a project file in the open dialog easier if
> it has the .geany extension.
Sure, and it has the ".geany" extension by default and when typing a
project name, the filename is adjusted and the extension is still
there. It only gets lost if the user removes it. So, the user has to
explicitly remove or change the extension and I think then he should be
aware of that the file maybe won't be found "automatically" as project
file. Anyway, the project open dialog offers to change the file filter
to "All files".