[Geany] posix-style regexp in find/replace

Vijay Ramesh vijay.krishna.ramesh at xxxxx
Wed Jun 11 18:55:01 UTC 2008

First of all, I've absolutely fallen in love with Geany after a few years of
using nedit and jedit on gnome, the former was just ugly, and the latter was
clunky as all hell (can you guess how I feel about java?). However, there is
one problem that is driving me up the wall, and I'm wondering if there is
some good reason it has never been addressed: having fuller posix-style
regexp matching in find/replace. Particularly, allowing the use of ? to make
searches non-greedy. I've gotten so used to using regexp matching in my
editor to allow for copying => pasting => quick change to a selection, but
have found I have to make much more careful and generally nasty regexps in
order to make up for not being able to use the ? non-greedy match. So, my
question is: why doesn't Geany allow non-greedy matching, is there any work
being done to address this, is there any easy way around it/patch to allow
for this functionality, or in general, how do people deal with this minute
but massively irritating detail?

Thanks for any input

/ V.K. Ramesh