[Geany] Problem: about tabs and indentation.

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Jul 11 11:15:14 UTC 2008

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:25:11 +0200
Joerg Desch <jd.vvd at web.de> wrote:

> After using Geany for a while, I run into trouble with the Geanys
> philosophy of indentation.
>
> Geany use the tab key and tab character to do its indentation. The

You can also use Ctrl-I/Ctrl-U - see the keybindings preferences.

> tab with is setup globally for all types of files.
>
> Whats the reason for using a tab to indent a line?

Under Edit->Preferences, editor tab, indentation frame, set Type to
Spaces and this should do what you want. The 'Tab width' pref should be
renamed to 'Indent width', as it works for spaces too.

> Is it possible to tell Geany to indent using an "indent width" (on a
> filetype base!) and than (optionally) replace multiple spaces with
> tabs?

We could add a filetype-based indent width, a project-based indent
width, and maybe an auto-detect indent width preference. Patches
welcome.

In SVN there's a 'Document->Replace spaces by tabs' option.

Regards,
Nick