[Geany] Modifying the document browser's behavior

Joerg Desch jd.vvd at xxxxx
Thu Feb 28 07:14:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:24:24 +0000
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> > That's one of the reasons why I've written that Geany has "no real"
> > project support. That's a point that should be discussed too.
>
> Myself and IIRC Enrico thought it would be good to allow other files
> outside the project to be opened without having to close all the
> project files first. But if there is a better alternative, feel free to
> suggest it ;-)

Ok. So how should we visualise a project? If there is only one view of loaded files, a project could be the highest node. All the other files from outside the project could be below a node "Unmanaged" (uhhh, sounds like C# stuff)

[-] Project FooBar
  [-] src/
    main.c
    foo.h
    bar.c
  [-] lib/
    xy.c
    abc.c
  [-] doc/
    README
    LICENSE
    manual.txt
[-] Unmanaged
   [-] ~/my-stuff/php
      index.php
      foo.php

That's one first thought. Or the project can be part of the file browser. Together with a checkbox "hide unloaded", we have the hierarchical view, and we can see what's in work. I'm not really sure if this is a possible solution.

Forget it. I think I have to try 0.13 (project management) first...

> (OT: Generally Geany development proceeds in a kind of evolutionary way
> - this seems easier (for me at least) than designing everything at once
> and maybe not getting around to implementing it.)

That's why I prefer OSS. ;-)

--
Email: Joerg Desch <jd DOT vvd AT web DOT de>