[Geany] calltips for python?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Feb 20 12:39:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:37:55 +0100, Tim Michelsen
<timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de> wrote:

> >> I have one question though:
> >> Does Geany support or will it support calltips for the following languages:
> >> * python like for instance in Editra:
> >> http://editra.org/images/preview/Windows/editra_pycomp.png
> > On the screenshot there are not calltips shown but usual symbol
> > autocompletion. This is basically possible with Geany,
> another screen shot from PyDev:
> http://pydev.sourceforge.net/images/codecompletion/codecompletionattr1.png
>
> For instance Stanis IDE recognises imported modules in python and then
> provides the namespace as calltip.
> from easygui import easygui
> easygui.{msgbox}
> 	{choicebox}
These are not calltips, at least not in Geany. You are talking about
symbol auto completion.
And again, this feature is available but you need some data. At the
moment, I'm not sure how to create a tags file for this.
Nick, could maybe the --generate-tags be used?

> > As you probably might have experienced, Geany already suggests you
> > known methods in the current file while typing.
> > Calltips are even more than this. Calltips mean the whole
> > method/function signature, i.e. the return value and the arguments.
>
> >> * CSS
> > Mainly the same as for Python: it's basically possible but one has to
> > create a list with known common symbols.
> again, see above.
> I expect to have something like:
> background-color:{color}
> width{px,|em,etc.}
I think for CSS a tags list can be created manually, at least for the
most common symbols.
But it seems symbol auto completion for CSS doesn't work completely.
I'll have a look at this.