[Geany] "Auto-close quotes and brackets" - addition request

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Dec 21 20:45:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:48:11 +0100, Harold Aling <geany at sait.nl> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:23:10 +0100, Enrico Tröger
><enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
>wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:40:54 +0100, Harold Aling <geany at sait.nl>
>> wrote:
>>>My request:
>>>
>>>If the next character is the same as the one Geany has inserted
>>>(/closed), overwrite the previously inserted one.
>>
>> Attached is a patch which might fix it but I didn't test it well and
>> I want you (Harold, Guillaume, whoever else is using this feature) to
>> test it before, it might need some tweaking.
>
>Enrico,
>
>Just tested it a bit. First thoughts:
>* There's a bit of a lag when the 'patch' kicks in
>* I believe the patch looks at the next character on a line so if
>you're prefixing a single quote with another quote that won't work.

Yes, and the patch fails also for the case Gordon pointed out. This is
why I told it's necessary to test it before.

Well, I won't spend more time on this, sorry.
This can get pretty nasty to implement in a sane way. Let's hope
someone who is using this feature actually, will work out a better
patch.