[Geany] plugin docs - Re: geanydebug vs. geanydbg

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Dec 14 17:41:46 UTC 2008

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:44:29 +0100, Micke Nordin <mickewiki at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Nick Treleaven skrev:
>>
>> Check the manual, it should be possible to add a linker= command to
>> your local filetypes.java, then the dialog will also show it.
>>
>This was realy easy once I had read  manual :-), thanks for pointing
>me there
>>
>> Well, Geany will only run commands, not understand build systems,
>> but we are working on making commands more configurable.
>What I ment was that I'd like to have the ability to specify two (or
>more) compiler=/linker=/run_cmd= sections in filetypes.* and then be
>able to choose which ones to use in a drop down menu, or by checking a

This is what is going to change as Nick mentioned.

>Another thing I found now is the "%e" doesen't return filename without
>filename extension as it does for c++-files, instead it returns
>filename + .class, so I have to build my executables with gcj
>- --main="%e" -o "%e.class" "%e.o" in order to be able to run gcj-built
>java-program with "./%e". Is this also me, doing something wrong?

Hmm, it shouldn't append ".class" to %e, it only does this while
preparing the execution to verify that the current source file
already has been compiled (which means for javac a .class file exists).
When using gcj, you get .o files, IIRC and so Geany's builtin smartness
about this fails badly.

Maybe we should remove this check or we perform this check only if
filetype is Java and compiler command contains "javac" assuming that
this will use .class files. But this seems like another ugly hack with
potential to be error-prone.