[Geany] Completions

Filip Gruszczyński gruszczy at xxxxx
Mon Dec 8 14:43:26 UTC 2008

> I think we could add a pref, some IDEs do this by default.

This would be cool. This is something that happens quite often and
could speed up my coding a bit :)

>I think in this case it should complete by default to self.getShortName
>(). Delimiters could be (, [, { and any other whitespace.

Well, that depends on how smart Geany can become: if it can deduct,
that it is a function it is completing, then starting bracket would be
cool, but the trailing not so much (in Visual Studio when I code in
C++ I hate this). If it could be very smart and:

* deduct, that there aren't any args and can add both brackets
* deduct, that there are some args and add both brackets and then set
the cursor _inside_, then it would be great; but I don't know, if it's
easy to add such stuff, especially to Python. To some statically typed
language it should be easier.

Still, good completions can enhance editor experience a lot, so I
believe it's worth tinkering about it :-) Especially today, when many
projects adopt usingVeryLongSymbols, that should be completed by the
editor, otherwise they are a real pain :)

--
Filip Gruszczyński