[Geany] Editor performance

Jakub Misak jmisak at xxxxx
Fri Dec 5 08:06:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 00:40:45 -0500
"John Yeung" <gallium.arsenide at gmail.com> wrote:

> For what it's worth, I use Windows a lot and Linux almost never.  I
> don't watch CPU usage that closely, but for me, SciTE and Geany are
> quite fast.  I especially like SciTE because I don't normally use
> IDE-like features anyway and SciTE has always been small and fast on
> even the wimpiest Windows machine.  The times that I've used Geany, it
> felt fine to me.
>
> The point of my reply is simply that if there are problems with
> Scintilla, SciTE, or Geany, my guess is that they are absent or not as
> severe on Windows.

Thanks for the observation - I haven't tried Geany or SciTE on Windows,
but generally, GUI on MS Windows is denifitely much faster than GUIs on
top of the X Window System, and even though in my experience GTK+ on
Windows is a lot slower than the native Windows GUI, it stil feels
faster than GTK+ on Linux or BSD. So I'll try running Geany on Windows
later and see if it makes a difference...