[Geany] Editor performance

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Dec 4 12:58:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 01:35:25 +0100
Jakub Misak <jmisak at centrum.cz> wrote:

> Is the
> Scintilla library really so inefficient? Because like I said, the only
> other editor I've tried that's as slow as Geany was SciTE, so it
> looks like it's Scintilla's fault...

There are a few things Geany does which makes scrolling slower, like
trying to parse the current scope - although I did some optimization on
that a while ago.

It might be partly how Scintilla is setup - can you try changing the
following SciTE settings and see if there are performance improvements:

buffered.draw=1
#two.phase.draw=0

Probably these would be fastest set like this:

buffered.draw=0
two.phase.draw=0

If flickering is bad, try:

buffered.draw=1
two.phase.draw=0

If this helps, we could add prefs for these settings in Geany.

Regards,
Nick