[Geany] Geany + g95 > texteditor?

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Aug 27 12:34:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:17:26 +0200
Arjan van Dijk <Arjan.van.Dijk at rivm.nl> wrote:

> 1) When you/I use modules in fortran, then the order in which the
> source files are passed to
> the compiler does matter. This means that the classic way of writing a
> Makefile
> is not so easy anymore. There are tools like "makemakefile" that can
> check all dependencies in your sources and use this knowlegde to make
> a universal Makefile for you for the generation of .o-files
> associated with any source file
> in that directory, but then Geany should do the talking to this tool
> for me...

Well, it's not really Geany's philosophy to include build management
tools, as this is specific to each filetype (but someone could implement
a plugin to do it). Geany just provides configurable commands to run.

> 2) To tweak an interface between Geany and gdb for debugging modern
> fortran code
> is beyond my expertise. Particularly if it is not (yet) clear if gdb

I wasn't suggesting you do that ;-) I just wanted to mention the GDB
plugin in case somehow that was helpful.

> and g95 like one another. It is access to the debugger that I really
> miss in all
> (other) applications, so for me this is the ultimate bottleneck. If
> someone who has
> done it before (i.e. link Geany to g95) now stands up, I'll embrace
> him/her cordially.
> Otherwise, I think I'll wait and see what will come up in the
> future...

Regards,
Nick