[Geany] Tab-Switching via Ctrl-Tab

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Aug 13 16:19:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:32:38 +0200
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:06:33 +0100, Nick Treleaven
> <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe people don't like this idea, but if we had notebook tab
> > switching forward/back in a history of most recently used documents,
> > it would be completely unnecessary to have code navigation also
> > switch between documents. This would actually give the user more
> > control over where they want to switch to, as often the user works
> > mainly on a single file and switches to other tabs to check
> > something.
>
> But code navigation is especially useful and a very convenient feature
> when browsing (foreign) code where you often 'jump' between functions
> calls and the function definitions which are scattered over serveral
> source files. I think in this case a document-based code navigation is
> more hindering than helping.

In that case you would use the MRU documents switching.

I think the only negative difference in features would be that switching
to a document without using goto tag would add an element in the queue.
So in that case you might need to use the command several times. All
existing functionality would still be present, but it would be accessed
in a different way.

But it means it's easier to navigate all the code positions without
having to step back over other documents. e.g. after using goto tag,
but not using navigate back because you want to edit some other part of
the code in the original document.

Regards,
Nick