[Geany] Problems when "no space left on device"

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Apr 29 13:56:56 UTC 2008

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:54:20 +0200, FD Cami <francois.cami at free.fr>
wrote:

> > With the backupcopy plugin you always have a copy of the last saved
> > state of your file together with a timestamp. So, even if the
> > current file is emptied by the failed write operation, you still
> > have the backup of the last save operation.
>
> Yes, in a single user situation, or a multi user situation where all
> users use Geany.
> That's not the case in a multi-user situation when the last few edits
> before the one that failed may have been done with a different editor
> than Geany (yes, it happens in real life, in companies mainly).

Not sure whether I understand you correctly. Does this mean the current
edited file has been changed while editing by other editors/users?
Then saving the file in Geany would overwrite the other changes. If it
has been changed before starting editing it in Geany, there is no
difference to the above.
In any case, in such cases a version control system is IMO the only way
to get around this problem.

Well, to summarise this is a bit:
I'll add a dialog box now for failed write operations (for whatever
reason it has failed), for backup purposes or other restoration
possibilities is IMO the user responsible. He has the help of the
backupcopy plugin or can use version control systems or something else.

If this is really not enough I would accept a patch to optionally do
the suggested process of using a temporary for writing. But it should
be optionally as this would break some things on the existing file
(permissions, hard links, ...).