[Geany] Hello :)

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Apr 24 14:10:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:42:39 -0300, shadow <shadow.of.soul08 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > I don't know actionscript. Is this the flash scripting langauge?
> > But if you would send the one or the other example file it would be
> > easy to get an impression how it looks like, how different it is
> > from existing lexers and whether it makes sense at all.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Enrico
> >
> Yes, the actionscript it's the scripting language of flash and flex
> it's the mxml language, code like xml to make GUI and user interface
> for flash.
>
> this it's a hello world in AS3:
>
> package
> {
>         import flash.display.MovieClip;
>         import flash.text.TextField;
>
>         public class HelloWorld extends MovieClip
>         {
>
>                 public function HelloWorld()
>                 {
>                         var helloDisplay:TextField = new TextField();
>                         helloDisplay.text = "Hello World";
>                         addChild(helloDisplay);
>                 }
>         }
> }

That's why I asked for example code:
the above code is very Java-like(regarding the syntax). Set Java as
filetype and you are done.
You can add custom filetype extensions in
~/.geany/filetype_extensions.conf. Details can be found in the manual.

> and this a mxml code (flex2)
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <mx:Application
>     xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"
>     horizontalAlign="center" verticalAlign="center">
>     <mx:Button id="myButton" label="Hello Bioinformatics World !" />
> </mx:Application>
This is just a XML dialect.

So, we don't need new filetypes for both, it's already there.

> this codes can be compiles with flex SDK (what are free) and get a
> working .swf
> i want to help first to add the support to this languages and later,
> if you think it's ok, make a plugin to launch the compiler of the SDK
> from geany, then, we can have a IDE for AS/flex2, easy to use, and

Writing a plugin to call a compiler should be fairly easy. But a plugin
for this should be the last resort. Before, there are two better and
easier ways:
a) modify filetypes.java and filetypes.xml and adjust the
[build_settings] sections.
You can add/modify the settings compiler, linker and run.
b) write a Makefile to compile/run the different files and use Geany's
Make commands (Build file menu).

Both should work and are probably more easy than writing a plugin.