[Geany] Geany wishlist

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Sep 25 11:27:27 UTC 2007

On 24/09/07 22:28:40, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On 24/09/2007, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > On 24/09/07 14:36:55, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> BTW, can geany find a tag definition from the tags list but when the
> file isn't loaded?

No - the global tags file currently doesn't store the filename.

> > I hadn't thought
> > of it before - I assumed that if the preprocessor has errors they
> can
> > just be ignored - doesn't this work?
>
> It seems to stop and the tags file only had about 4 lines.

OK, I'll add the option sometime.

> > > [...]
> > > - Allow additional regexp to be specified for tag detection (I do
> > > this
> > > with ctags)
> >
> > Out of interest, when would you use that? Perhaps it's better just
> > improve the language parsers.
>
> I wouldn't improve the parser since these are not part of the core
> language. For example, Linux has C macros used in asm files to define
> a functions (like ENTRY) but I think the default parser gets
> confused.

Well, this might be tricky. Geany tags files store what kind of tag it
is, and so allowing regex tags could be messy. Also the tag files are
per language, so maybe it wouldn't work in your example.

> > > - Navigating back after finding a tag should go to the previous
> > > position where the find command was invoked. It currently goes to
> the
> > > beginning of the buffer if the tag was found in the current
> buffer
> > > (more annoying) or returns to one line before the previous
> position
> > > (acceptable, though it would be better to return on the same line
> and
> > > column)
> >
> > Sorry, I don't really understand this. Do you mean goto tag
> definition
> > or find? Also I can't reproduce the off-by-one-line problem.
>
> I meant "go to tag definition/declaration". My work-flow is to go to
> different tag definitions to follow a calling tree and want to go
> back
> to where I started. After a bit more testing, I noticed that geany
> only remembers the position of a cursor placed with the mouse (left
> click) or just the first line if no mouse was pressed. I usually use
> the keyboard to navigate but geany doesn't remember the last position
> of the mouse if it was moved with the arrow keys.

You're right, it's weird we hadn't noticed this - I'll look into it.

> It also doesn't remember the column, only the line and goes back to
> the beginning of the line.

Perhaps this can be improved in future.

Regards,
Nick