[Geany] Geany wishlist

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Tue Sep 25 00:39:56 UTC 2007

On 9/24/07, Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I also prefer Python indentation to use spaces and C indentation
> > > to use tabs but geany only supports one setting for all

> > One workaround is to use different configuration directories with
> > the -c option, but this clearly isn't ideal.

> Thanks for this. It is not ideal but it works for now.

Or use the Lua plugin :-)

It provides for a set of scripts in ~/.geany/plugins/lua/events/
that will run each time a file is opened or activated. For my
needs, I set up a fairly simple rule:

"Always use spaces, unless it's a makefile, or if it it already
 contains tabs"

So, my "opened.lua" and "activated.lua" scripts both do this:

geany.scintilla("SetUseTabs",
  string.match(string.lower(geany.fileinfo().name), "^makefile.*")~=nil
    or string.find(geany.text(), "\t")~=nil)

This has the advantage that it's not limited to filetypes, content or
any other criteria. It allows whatever absurdly complex rules the
user's heart desires, use tabs in the morning and spaces in the afternoon,
with a tab width of 4 unless the filename begins with a capital letter,
then use a tab width of 13, except on Aunt Mable's birthday ;)

 - Jeff