[Geany] Geany wishlist

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at xxxxx
Mon Sep 24 21:28:40 UTC 2007

On 24/09/2007, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 24/09/07 14:36:55, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > generate the tags from the loaded files directly, I don't understand
> > why it calls cpp when running from the command line. My current
>
> It can be useful - for the GTK example I only have to pass the main
> gtk.h header file and the preprocessor will include the rest. But I
> think we could add an option not to preprocess files.

BTW, can geany find a tag definition from the tags list but when the
file isn't loaded?

> I hadn't thought
> of it before - I assumed that if the preprocessor has errors they can
> just be ignored - doesn't this work?

It seems to stop and the tags file only had about 4 lines.

> > [...]
> > - Allow additional regexp to be specified for tag detection (I do
> > this
> > with ctags)
>
> Out of interest, when would you use that? Perhaps it's better just to
> improve the language parsers.

I wouldn't improve the parser since these are not part of the core
language. For example, Linux has C macros used in asm files to define
a functions (like ENTRY) but I think the default parser gets confused.

> > - Navigating back after finding a tag should go to the previous
> > position where the find command was invoked. It currently goes to the
> > beginning of the buffer if the tag was found in the current buffer
> > (more annoying) or returns to one line before the previous position
> > (acceptable, though it would be better to return on the same line and
> > column)
>
> Sorry, I don't really understand this. Do you mean goto tag definition
> or find? Also I can't reproduce the off-by-one-line problem.

I meant "go to tag definition/declaration". My work-flow is to go to
different tag definitions to follow a calling tree and want to go back
to where I started. After a bit more testing, I noticed that geany
only remembers the position of a cursor placed with the mouse (left
click) or just the first line if no mouse was pressed. I usually use
the keyboard to navigate but geany doesn't remember the last position
of the mouse if it was moved with the arrow keys.

It also doesn't remember the column, only the line and goes back to
the beginning of the line.

> > - Some preferences should be per project or file type to accommodate
> > different coding standards (i.e. Linux kernel work vs some internal
> > company project). I also prefer Python indentation to use spaces and
> > indentation to use tabs but geany only supports one setting for all
>
> We have been meaning to do this. One workaround is to use different
> configuration directories with the -c option, but this clearly isn't
> ideal.

Thanks for this. It is not ideal but it works for now.

Regards.

--
Catalin