[Geany] Autocompletion followed by text

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Sep 12 12:25:26 UTC 2007

On 06/09/07 21:13:08, Harold Aling wrote:
> Ah, that's why it often doesn't work! I was planning on filing a bug
> about autocompletion not working sometimes. There must have been a
> space
> or tab on the line already!

I've just fixed this so that trailing space on a line is now ignored,
and autocompletion will work.

> This also explains why the autocompletion of my full name didn't work
> last week. I was editing a text file and wanted to insert my full
> name
>
> in my comments (Har<tab>)...

I've now added a hidden preference in the SVN version,
auto_complete_whilst_editing, which when set to true should allow what
you want, instead of having to patch Geany. Either quit Geany and use
another editor to edit ~/.geany/geany.conf, or do it the hard way:

From Geany, edit ~/.geany/geany.conf, then start another instance, then
quit the first instance (this prevents the file being overwritten when
Geany quits).

> I still find it very strange that this is a 'feature', especially
> because the auto completion only works when entering a specific text
> and
> pressing the auto complete button (tab). This will almost never
> happen
>
> accidentally, I presume...

Some people configure auto completion to use space, then it's annoying
to get e.g. 'if' autocompleted when editing an existing if statement.

Regards,
Nick