[Geany] Autocompletion followed by text

Harold Aling h.aling at xxxxx
Thu Sep 6 20:13:08 UTC 2007

Steve wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 18:35:33 +0200
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

>>> Out of curiosity, why?
>>>
>> Because it may confuse too much when accidentally hitting [Tab] (or
>> whatever the auto completion is bound to) and is probably very
>> unexpected.
>>

> Fair enough, but I think I'd have to argue that Geany's target users
> are not so easily confused as that. If we we were talking about Leafpad
> or Kwrite then, yes, I'd agree.
>
> For what it's worth, I was confused by the current behavior. I spent an
> hour or so tinkering, sure I was doing something wrong, since (1) it
> was behaving in an obviously inconsistent way and (2) it didn't work
> the way the docs say it does ("Everytime you write myname <TAB> in
> Geany...").
>
> Anyway, thanks again for the patch. With the patch applied,
> autocomplete does exactly what I need it to.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stveve

Ah, that's why it often doesn't work! I was planning on filing a bug
about autocompletion not working sometimes. There must have been a space
or tab on the line already!

This also explains why the autocompletion of my full name didn't work
last week. I was editing a text file and wanted to insert my full name
in my comments (Har<tab>)...

I still find it very strange that this is a 'feature', especially
because the auto completion only works when entering a specific text and
pressing the auto complete button (tab). This will almost never happen
accidentally, I presume...

Well, patching it is! (every time ;( )

-H-