[Geany] selecting text between brackets (was revisiting keybindings)

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Thu Sep 6 19:13:11 UTC 2007

In another thread, Nick wrote:
> John wrote:
>
> > * Shift-Alt-B -- select text between innermost matching brackets
> > (**who snuck this in here? ;)**). It does seem to go rather well with
> > Shift-Alt-{W,L,P} though...
>
> I'm thinking of adding something like 'select scope' which uses the
> current fold level. Or did you mean () brackets for selecting e.g. an
> argument list for a function?

Not sure what you mean by "fold level". I meant "brackets" in the
general sense ( [], {}, () ). That is, you've got text that looks
like:

{
    [
        hello
        func(foo bar baz)
    ]
    bye
}

and you've got your cursor on the "bar", then you hit Shift-Alt-B and
get "foo bar baz" selected. For extra geek points for Geany, if you
hit Shift-Alt-B again, the selection would expand to get "func" and
"hello" also (including the parentheses) -- and tap it again to get
the "bye" (and square brackets) in there too.

---John