[Geany] revisiting default keyboard shortcuts: a proposed solution

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Sep 6 16:16:13 UTC 2007

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:22:52 +0100, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 09/06/2007 08:36:56 AM, John Gabriele wrote:
> > On 9/5/07, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > > Just to mention that sometime I/we will probably add incremental
> > find
> > > backwards, which would be nice to do by adding shift to the
> > incremental
> > > find binding.
> >
> > Really looking forward to that feature! :) Maybe a checkbox
> > connected with that search field widget (indicating search
> > direction), where the
> > key combo would check the checkbox before making the field active?
> >
> Maybe, not sure yet.
I would suggest to use a separate search button. One button for usual
forward and one for backward search. Maybe the buttons could be put
horizontal splitted. But we shouldn't talk about minor GUI stuff until
the feature isn't implemented at all ;-).

> > * Alt-{PgUp,PgDn} -- scroll back and forward through editor tabs
> > (seems to follow nicely with the other Alt key commands, right?).
>
> I don't like that. Users are used to Ctrl-{PgUp,PgDn} e.g. in
> browsers.
I agree.

> > * Alt-{Home,End} -- Go to first tab (like Alt-1), and last tab
> > (Alt-0)? Just an idea here, but these two combos seem to just flow
> > nicely from the rest of the Alt keys dealing with the GUI. Also,
> > Enrico, you noted that someone once mentioned that numbers keys
> > aren't
> > always easy to hit on some keyboards, so maybe Alt-{Home,End} would
> > be
> > easier than Alt-{1,0} for some users?
> >
> I'm thinking of adding something like that, that's easier to type
> than the number keys.
Yes sounds good. Alt-{Home,End} are currently used by Scintilla for "Go
to start/end of display line." but I guess we could drop this binding
without replacement(IMO).