[Geany] revisiting default keyboard shortcuts: a proposed solution

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Sep 6 12:22:52 UTC 2007

On 09/06/2007 08:36:56 AM, John Gabriele wrote:
> On 9/5/07, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > Just to mention that sometime I/we will probably add incremental
> find
> > backwards, which would be nice to do by adding shift to the
> incremental
> > find binding.
>
> Really looking forward to that feature! :) Maybe a checkbox connected
> with that search field widget (indicating search direction), where
> the
> key combo would check the checkbox before making the field active?

Maybe, not sure yet.

> I can see how it's now getting into a gray area between using
> Shift-Alt vs. Ctrl-Alt, since even though you're still manipulating
> GUI elements, they're acting an awful lot like regular editing
> commands. I guess this is one of those cases where you need to think
> about what the user is using the command for, and choose the key
> combo
> based on that (keeping things consistent for the user), rather than
> strictly deciding key combos based on the editor feature
> implementation. So, that said, here's an updated and summed-up (and

At the moment I'm undecided about what to group under Alt-Shift and
Ctrl-Alt. Personally I think I need to meditate on this for a while
until everything feels right, so maybe decide after the 0.12 release.

> * Shift-Alt-B -- select text between innermost matching brackets
> (**who snuck this in here? ;)**). It does seem to go rather well with
> Shift-Alt-{W,L,P} though...

I'm thinking of adding something like 'select scope' which uses the
current fold level. Or did you mean () brackets for selecting e.g. an
argument list for a function?

> * Alt-{PgUp,PgDn} -- scroll back and forward through editor tabs
> (seems to follow nicely with the other Alt key commands, right?).

I don't like that. Users are used to Ctrl-{PgUp,PgDn} e.g. in browsers.

> * Alt-{Home,End} -- Go to first tab (like Alt-1), and last tab
> (Alt-0)? Just an idea here, but these two combos seem to just flow
> nicely from the rest of the Alt keys dealing with the GUI. Also,
> Enrico, you noted that someone once mentioned that numbers keys
> aren't
> always easy to hit on some keyboards, so maybe Alt-{Home,End} would
> be
> easier than Alt-{1,0} for some users?

I'm thinking of adding something like that, that's easier to type than
the number keys.

Regards,
Nick