[Geany] default keybindings: possible rules

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Sep 6 16:12:35 UTC 2007

Hi all,
I think it's time for me to write up what I think are the important
rules for default keybindings, following the Geany Philosophy (TM).
These are in order of importance.

1.a) Avoid Window Manager shortcuts, especially Gnome.
  b) Avoid shortcuts that don't work on most keyboard layouts.
2. Make common things easy to do.
3. Use F-keys, PgUp, etc. to make more room for alpha-keybindings.
4. Add Shift to keybindings to do a related action.
5. Prefer Ctrl-Alt-{x} to Shift-Alt-{x].
6. Avoid duplicate keys for the same thing.
7. Should be reasonably easy to remember.

While these aren't ideal for everyone, they should (hopefully) be a
good set of rules. IMO functionality should be more important than
grouping related things together.

Regards,
Nick