[Geany] Geany crashes in Windows

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Oct 30 13:49:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 05:59:15 -0700, Bob Snyder <bob.snyder at cox.net>
wrote:

> Tim Tassonis wrote:
> > Bob Snyder wrote:
> >> I've been using Geany for several months on my home Linux box and
> >> like it so much that I wanted to use it at work - under Windows.
> >> But it crashes when opening files. It seems like this happens when
> >> the desired file is more than two or three levels below the root.
> >> Opening a file at root or one level down seems to be okay.
> >>
> >> I have seen this problem for the last several releases of Geany -
> >> since 0.10. Also for each version, I have been using the version
> >> of GTK+ that comes with the Geany "Full Installer" package, but
> >> recently tried it with a version from another source with the same
> >> results.
> >>
> >> I'm running WinXP, I think it's SP2, with 1GB RAM. I've attached
> >> the drwatson log and user.dmp files created when it crashes.
> >
> > Can't reproduce this with current svn r1991 under XP SP2, I just
> > opened a file
> >
> > z:\dev\uam-client-svn\agent\internal-windomain\internal.c
> >
> > and it didn't crash. I remember however that once I had a problem
> > when geany ran under a user without admin rights and it crashed.
> > Does your account have admin rights?
> >
> > I attach you my binary, it was compiled using the mingw compiler.
> > Does it crash, too?
> >
> I will try with admin rights today. But no attachment came with the
> message. Did my attachments make it? (there were two).

Yes, your attachments were sent properly.

It might be related to missing admin rights. I didn't test it without
because on my Windows box I need them for getting the WLan interface to
work, lovely Windows...

Maybe the file you want to open is not readable or writeable for your
user? Or is any directory between the file and root not readable or in
any case accessable to your user?