[Geany] Editor helpers

Dominic Hopf dmaphy_damastasif at xxxxx
Fri Oct 26 15:30:26 UTC 2007

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:06:15 +0200, Harold Aling <h.aling at home.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:31:07 +0100, Nick Treleaven
> <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On 24/10/07 14:38:40, Harold Aling wrote:
>>>
>>> What if Geany would support the following:
>>>
>>> A: Add opening and closing tags to a selection:
>>> 1. Select a word/row/section
>>> 2. Press '
>>> 3. Geany transforms the selection into '<selection>' and expands the
>>> selection so you may add another one by a single keypress.
>>
>> I'm not sure about this, when would you use it? Perhaps it's better to
>> just insert the > character after < when typing the tag, like feature
>> B.
>>
>>> B: Add closing tag for opened tag
>>> 1. Start typing: echo '
>>> 2. Geany adds the closing ' but the cursor stays in between: echo
>>> '<cursor>'
>>>
>>> These would be useful for ', ", {, [, (, ` and maybe other
>>> characters(?)...
>>
>> It might be a nice feature, but it would need to be implemented
>> carefully. E.g. checking that the cursor is not in a string or comment.
>> Also sometimes you wouldn't want the behaviour at the start of a line
>> or in front of some text on an existing line if you're programming.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, I've seen either Gvim or Kate do this and it looked
> very handy to me.
>
> Doen anyone else have an opinion about this? Or seen something like this
> in
> action?

I was working for a long time with Programmers Notepad (www.pnotepad.org)
on Windows.
It has a feature like this "Brace Completion" too and i was very satisfied
with that. :)
Also i used kate on Linux and this worked very good.
But in Gedit for example this is not working as is should. When i want to
put a string
into quotes, i'm putting the cursor before the first char and type a ".
This completes
too so that i have to delete the completed " too. And thats very annoying.
Just as an
example how this should _not_ work... as Nick already said, this has to be
implemented
very carefully. But kate and pnotepad may be good sources to look for
examples. :)

> -H-
>

>> Regards,
>> Nick