[Geany] autocomplete terminology confusion

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Oct 23 14:09:59 UTC 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:01:47 +0200, kib2 <kib2 at free.fr> wrote:

> Enrico Tröger a écrit :
> > On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:54:03 -0400, "John Gabriele"
> > <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The actual behaviour is, of course, to expand a small piece of text
> >> into a larger piece -- regardless of whether or not it's code. So,
> >> really, neither "code snippets" nor "snippets" are names that fit
> >> actual behaviour. I just thought "snippets" would be simpler, and
> >> more general sounding.
> >>
> > Why doesn't fit snippets at all?
> > I think it is good enough and I'm not really sure about your last
> > sentence. You also suggest snippets or you are against? To me it
> > sounds a bit contrary.
> >

> > Regards,
> > Enrico
> >

> Hi,
>
> Snippets have a different meaning for me :
> those of a TextMate like editor (InType, eTexteditor,Smultron,...),
> with fields where you can give default values, apply transforms and
> pos your cursor at the end.
> Type 'snippets' + Vim or Emacs, and you'll find these features too.
> So this term seems commonly used for pieces of text with dynamic
> replacements; that's not Geany behavior.
If I understand you right, you are talking about that what we call
templates in Geany.
So, any better idea for the current auto completion feature? I don't
want to rename the template feature because IMO it fits very well and
is there already for a very long time.