[Geany] autocomplete terminology confusion

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Sat Oct 20 16:54:03 UTC 2007

On 10/20/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:44:01 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 10/19/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > So my suggestion is to rename the current construct completion
> > > completely to e.g. "code snippets" or something else.
> >
> > My guess is that lots of folks will use them for things other than
> > code, so maybe just "snippets" would do; as in, "Hit Tab to activate
> > the snippet for the preceeding bit of text". Then you'd find yourself
> > referring to "filetype-specific snippets" for those different sections
> > in the config file.
>
> But why not? IMO it fits the actual behaviour more than auto completion.

The actual behaviour is, of course, to expand a small piece of text
into a larger piece -- regardless of whether or not it's code. So,
really, neither "code snippets" nor "snippets" are names that fit
actual behaviour. I just thought "snippets" would be simpler, and more
general sounding.

> > Also, I'm guessing you'd want to rename ~/.geany/autocomplete.conf to
> > ~/.geany/snippets.conf, as well as purge any mentions of "autocomplete
>
> This is quite inconvenient, so we should have done this before the 0.12
> release.

Yup.

---John