[Geany] autocomplete terminology confusion

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Oct 19 12:09:41 UTC 2007

On 18/10/07 21:01:28, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:19:33 -0400, "John Gabriele"
> <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > It seems like Geany offers 2 ways of helping complete what you're
> in
> > the middle of typing:
> >
> > 1. Autocomplete construct
> > 2. Complete word
> I think we should separate these two features more clearly because
> they
> are two different kinds of helpers. The question for me is, how. You
> know, English isn't my mother tongue and right now I have no idea how
> to improve it by keeping its meaning.
> Any ideas?

I think autocompletion is when the editor suggests matches for a
partial word, and construct completion is used for completing things
like if, for, etc. But now that construct completion is configurable,
it is different as the trigger word is replaced rather than expanded.
So perhaps we should use a new term for configurable completion - now
it's not necessarily completing anything.

Regards,
Nick