[Geany] tiny feature request: list open files

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Mon Oct 1 14:26:32 UTC 2007

On 10/1/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 09:49:20 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > > What would you use that for? (Session support will be improved in
> > > future - for projects and maybe custom session files).
> >
> > Some users had expressed interest in a hierarchical file browser (for
> > files that Geany already has open). I was fiddling around and wrote a
> > small Tkinter utility that would show what files Geany has open,
> > sorted by full path name so as to list files together that are in the
> > same directory, and which provides hot keys to open them (under the
> > covers it just calls ``geany <file>`` and Geany goes to that file
> > since it's already open).
>
> Is this really the way we want to go? Sounds very cumbersomely. We
> could add it temporarily as some kind of workaround but for the future
> I think this should do a real file browser plugin.

Sorry, that was clumsy of me. I didn't mean to imply that anyone would
be particularly interested in using it. I just figured I'd give it a
try to see if it's something that is useful for my own use (and anyone
else who might be interested).

Anyhow, I agree. I'm guessing you'll probably end up eventually using
a plug-in to do these sorts of things but my C is a little rusty, and
I happened to be familiar with Tkinter and also had a small bit of
free time yesterday. :)

It's ok if ``--list-open-files`` is not a good fit for adding to
geany. In fact, Nick mentioned project support... hmm... If you don't
add the option I was asking about, I may instead just use my little
app to list project files and see if that ends up being handy.

---John