[Geany] More Features

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Sun Nov 18 19:15:10 UTC 2007

On Nov 18, 2007 10:31 AM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 12:23:40 +0100, Bo Lorentsen <bl at lue.dk> wrote:
>
> > emacs : If the plugin interface could handle key strokes, code
> > insertion handles, and be able to work directly inside the text
> > buffer, this should be do able from a plugin really soon. Maybe the
> > plugin should be able to take over the key stroke table ? It would be
> > nice to see this as a Lua script too.
>
> I guess John would be happy about an emacs keybinding plugin ;-).

Yes, I do think putting Geany's ease of use together with Emacs' key
bindings would be a great combination. :)

> But
> yes, plugins should be able to define own keybindings or even be able
> to change existing ones. Just need to be implemented.

Emacs, of course, makes use of the Alt keys heavily. For Geany to be
able to provide Emacs key bindings, you'd need to first shut off all
(or most) current Alt key bindings, including ones that open menus. No
idea how easy or difficult this would be. I remember hearing Enrico
mention previously that "some" GTK-related key bindings could not be
remapped. I don't know the details of that though.

---John