[Geany] More Features

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Nov 18 15:31:15 UTC 2007

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 12:23:40 +0100, Bo Lorentsen <bl at lue.dk> wrote:

Hi,

> emacs : If the plugin interface could handle key strokes, code
> insertion handles, and be able to work directly inside the text
> buffer, this should be do able from a plugin really soon. Maybe the
> plugin should be able to take over the key stroke table ? It would be
> nice to see this as a Lua script too.
I guess John would be happy about an emacs keybinding plugin ;-). But
yes, plugins should be able to define own keybindings or even be able
to change existing ones. Just need to be implemented.

> Project: It would be sad to see a full size make file generation go
> into Geany as part of the IDE, but plugins would be the proper way to
> handle this. But it would be nice if the central project system could
Yes, IMO this is an ideal purpose for a plugin.

> handle a list of project files (not session) and that a plugin could
> get access to this list, and from this generate makefiles, setting
> options and other usefull stuff.
Project management is missing a discrete file list by design. We
decided to not add a file list to the project object to keep it small
and easy to use. Anyway, we wanted to add a file pattern option so that
a general bunch of files could be added to the project. But as an
alternative, the plugin API could get access to the project's config
file and so plugins could maintain a file list for a project by
themselves. Not sure about this.

> But Geany need to have a "project files", along with the "symbols",
> "Documents", "Files" in the sidebar.
Hmmm, see above.

> This feature could also be used for web site uploads and other
> project orientated stuff.
>
> Network: A friend of my have this nice idea of making a distributing
> editor environment where more than one person could work on the same
> file, while talking on the phone or using IM of a kind.
This is a completely different kind of applications with different
needs and purposes. Furthermore, there are already a couple of projects
to provide such apps. I'm not completely sure at the moment, but some
time ago I read something about this and IIRC there were three
well-known applications mentioned, but I don't remember the names,
sorry.

> If a plugin could have total power of file load, save and all changes
> made in the editor, this could be a perfect playgroud for a feature
> like this, without bloating Geany itself.
This sounds a bit like the gnomevfs stuff. Please no. File operations
are quite elementary and they should remain in the core, IMO. Anyway,
there are already plugin signals for file new, open and save. So, a
plugin could use these signals to do some external operations.