[Geany] VFS files

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Nov 13 14:21:18 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:40:12 +0100, Bo Lorentsen <bl at lue.dk> wrote:

> Hi ...
>
> I have been using Geany a bit the last few days, and its becoming a
> quite useful tool. But I can't open files that is mounted in VFS :-(
>
> Are there any plans of vfs support, or am I the only one having this
> need ?
I guess you are talking about gnome-vfs?
If so, it won't be supported. As Tim mentioned, fuse is very powerful
and provides (IMO) a cleaner way to use remote file systems while being
completely application independent.

This has been requested already some time before but I think it is much
better and easier to use fuse or lufs for accessing remote file systems.
Theoretically supporting gnome-vfs could be reached with a plugin. The
plugin does the work with gnome-vfs and when opening a file via
gnome-vfs it reads its contents and create a new file in Geany and put
the contents in it. When saving this file, the plugin gives it a
temporary filename on the local system(so that Geany can actually save
it) and just put the contents of the saved file back to gnome-vfs, so
the plugin would act as a kind of wrapper or layer between Geany and
gnome-vfs. I will definitely not work on this and it is probably a lot
of work.
Again, using lufs or fuse should be much easier.