[Geany] Syntax Highlighting

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Fri May 25 14:19:22 UTC 2007

On 5/25/07, Derrick Devine <ddevine at rpath.com> wrote:
> Something that I use Geany for besides python is editing wiki pages.  It
> would be nice if someone could point me toward how to start syntax
> highlighting for wiki syntax (for example, Kate in KDE does this for
> wikipedia via xml file).  I'd love to contribute this...can anyone wind
> me up and point me in the right direction?

Hi Derrick,

Geany uses the Scintilla editing component, and as such, if you want
syntax highlighting for a new language or format, someone needs to
write a Scintilla lexer for it.

Since wiki syntax is generally easy to read without syntax
highlighting, and since it's a bit of a pain to write your own lexer,
you don't see much support for that sort of thing in Scintilla.

That said, you can always take a look in your ``.../geany/scintilla``
directory at one or more of the Lex*.cxx files to see what a new lexer
entails. LexConf.cxx and LexCrontab.cxx might be good places to start,
as well as reading http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/Lexer.txt .

---John