[Geany] Does not recognize filetypes under Windows when written in captial letters

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat May 26 09:10:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:12:26 +0200, Enrico Tröger
<enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:55:55 +0300, Yura Semashko <yurand2 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Аўторак 17 Красавік 2007 14:44, Andreas Tscharner wrote:
> > > Hello World, hello Enrico,
> > >
> > > Geany 0.11svn_r1456 (Windows) does not recognize files that have
> > > the file extension in capital (or mixed) letters, for example,
> > > the file foo.pas is recognized, but bar.PAS is not (and bar.Pas
> > > neither). Windows is not case sensitive (but case preserving), so
> > > it does not matter whether capital or small letters are used.
> > > Thinking about it: Does it matter for GCC how the file extension
> > > is written (.cc, .CC, .cpp, .CPP)?
> > It matter for gcc:
> > .C is c++ extencion
> > .c is c
> >
> > Here is is two patches that solve the problem:
> > 1) ignore case for filetype detection (use lowercase)
> > 2) just add .PAS to pascal extencions
> >
> > Second patch don't make things worse anyway, so it is save to apply.
> Thanks Andreas and Yura.
>
> I'm not sure whether to apply the first one. And if, we should only
> lowercase the basename on Windows systems, I guess users of Unix-like
Finally done in SVN r1576. Sorry for the delay.

For the filetype detection based on filename extensions, the basename
of the file will be converted to lowercase and then it will be compared
with the available extensions. Applies only for Windows systems.

This also means, that a file something.C will be opened as a C and
not as a C++ file in Geany on Windows. But I guess .C is rarely used,
so it shouldn't be a big problem.