[Geany] Plugin API

blackdog blackdog at xxxxx
Wed Jul 25 15:04:19 UTC 2007

Hi List

This is a first post. I've been using geany for about 3 months,
and in fact hacked it for the haXe (http://www.haxe.org) programming
language. I didn't submit my hack as it wasn't in good enough shape or
generic enough, and indeed fellow haxers had issues with my code
completion for haXe. If you're interested in my old hacks I blogged
about it here
http://blackdog-haxe.blogspot.com/2007/05/geany-errr-haxedevelop.html

The addition of the plugin system allows me to write
something significant without stepping on toes which I wasn't able to
do before. I'm doing a Neko VM plugin for geany (Neko is the haxe VM,
see http://www.nekovm.org). This allows the creation of geany plugins in
haXe using my hxGtk library. Anyway that's a work in progress, right
now I'm wondering if anyone is working on the the plugin API in the
following areas:

1. get currently selected class, variable etc from the Symbol tree.
2. keyboard short cuts for plugins.
3. process management, one of the issues i had in my old geany code
was I had to fire off my own processes for the haXe code
completion, it would be good if there was a standard way of executing a
an external process and getting the result in a friendlier way for
toolwriters rather than g_spawn_async_with_pipes

Just want to say it's a great project and I find the small footprint and
speed extremely refreshing, I was using JEdit prior to Geany and
really got ticked off with 60MB RAM consumption.

Thanks for you hard work, I hope I can add to it.

Cheers

bd

--
http://www.blackdog-haxe.com/

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick
society." --Jiddu Krishnamurti