[Geany] tab, the triangle clicky widgets bug, and Ctrl-PgUp / Ctrl-PgDn

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Jul 11 16:01:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 02:10:10 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> When I've got a bunch of files open, with the tabs visible, and they
> take up more than the window width, the little left/right triangle
> buttons show up. They currently are supposed to allow me to switch
> from one tab to the next in the given direction of the button.
>
> A problem I'm noticing is 3-fold:
>
> 1. The user usually doesn't need to switch from file to file this way.
> If they've gone and reached for the mouse, they may as well just click
> on the tab itself to get the file.
But it doesn't hurt if they are just available. Ok, there is a few less
horizontal space for the tabs but it is just common (for GTK apps) to
have these arrows. They are also indeed useful when you are in a tab on
the left or right edge of the tab list and want to get just to the next
tab which is obscured.

> 2. If the user is editing a file in a tab far to one side, and wants
> to go to a tab that's obscured on the other side, they need to either
> repeatedly click that triangle button to get there, or else resort to
Why not just click on the last visible tab and then use the arrow to
scroll further?

> 3. There seems to be a bug where, when I click the triangle button, it
> moves over multiple files at-a-time, passing through two or more as it
> goes.
Which GTK version do you use? I think there were some issues with GTK
2.8. But I'm not sure at the moment.

> To me, Firefox's behaviour (when using tabbed browsing) makes more
> sense: the triangle/arrow widget buttons horizontally scroll the
> *view* of the tabs, rather than switching you from tab to tab.
But the current behaviour is the GTK default and couldn't be
changed easily, AFAIK.

> Also, since Ctrl-PgUp and Ctrl-PgDn nowadays let you wrap around to
> the tab on the other end of the row, I think it would be useful to
> have:
>
> Shift-Ctrl-PgUp -- gets you all the way to the tab on the far left
> Shift-Ctrl-PgDn -- gets you all the way to the tab on the far right
Did you try Alt-1 and Alt-0?