[Geany] tab, the triangle clicky widgets bug, and Ctrl-PgUp / Ctrl-PgDn

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Wed Jul 11 17:12:28 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 02:10:10 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > When I've got a bunch of files open, with the tabs visible, and they
> > take up more than the window width, the little left/right triangle
> > buttons show up. They currently are supposed to allow me to switch
> > from one tab to the next in the given direction of the button.
> >
> > A problem I'm noticing is 3-fold:
> >
> > 1. The user usually doesn't need to switch from file to file this way.
> > If they've gone and reached for the mouse, they may as well just click
> > on the tab itself to get the file.
>
> But it doesn't hurt if they are just available. Ok, there is a few less
> horizontal space for the tabs but it is just common (for GTK apps) to
> have these arrows. They are also indeed useful when you are in a tab on
> the left or right edge of the tab list and want to get just to the next
> tab which is obscured.

Right. I like the arrows. Just seems to me that their behaviour is not optimal.

> > 2. If the user is editing a file in a tab far to one side, and wants
> > to go to a tab that's obscured on the other side, they need to either
> > repeatedly click that triangle button to get there, or else resort to
>
> Why not just click on the last visible tab and then use the arrow to
> scroll further?

Yes, I see that works too.

> > 3. There seems to be a bug where, when I click the triangle button, it
> > moves over multiple files at-a-time, passing through two or more as it
> > goes.
>
> Which GTK version do you use? I think there were some issues with GTK
> 2.8. But I'm not sure at the moment.

Hm. Both my system at home and the one here at work are running the
current Ubuntu (7.04 - the "Feisty Fawn"), but like a pet that only
does a trick when no one else is watching, I can't reproduce the bug
on this system. This Ubuntu is using libgtk2: 2.10.11-0ubuntu3. When I
get back to the other system I'll try to get you something that can be
reproduced.

> > To me, Firefox's behaviour (when using tabbed browsing) makes more
> > sense: the triangle/arrow widget buttons horizontally scroll the
> > *view* of the tabs, rather than switching you from tab to tab.
>
> But the current behaviour is the GTK default and couldn't be
> changed easily, AFAIK.

I see.

> > Also, since Ctrl-PgUp and Ctrl-PgDn nowadays let you wrap around to
> > the tab on the other end of the row, I think it would be useful to
> > have:
> >
> > Shift-Ctrl-PgUp -- gets you all the way to the tab on the far left
> > Shift-Ctrl-PgDn -- gets you all the way to the tab on the far right
>
> Did you try Alt-1 and Alt-0?

Didn't know about those! Nice. Incidentally, I can't seem to locate
the list of standard GTK+ key bindings. I thought they might be in
http://gtk.org/tutorial/ , but I'm not finding them. They're not here
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/input-keyboard.html
either. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
---John