[Geany] on the new comment toggling

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Fri Jul 6 16:05:54 UTC 2007

> > > Me too ;-). I'm going to start implementing it.
> >
> > Done in SVN r1668 (also fixed some selection issues).
>
> Forgot to mention:
> Keyboard shortcut for comment toggling was changed to: Ctrl-E.
> Shortcuts for comment/uncomment are now undefined.

Interesting behaviour you gave it regarding lines that already had a
comment character on them. (That is, it doesn't touch them.)

When I comment out a block, I'd like to be able to still glance up at
it while working. Sometimes I'm trying out a different algorithm, and
I still like to look up at the commented-out block for inspiration.
So, for me, the commented-out block still needs to be readable.

If I had the following block:

def foo(self):
    # Do it how the so-and-so wants it.
    self.thus_and_so()

    # And then, make sure resources get deallocated.
    self.tidy_up()

I'd prefer to get:

#~ def foo(self):
#~     # Do it how the so-and-so wants it.
#~     self.thus_and_so()
#~
#~     # And then, make sure resources get deallocated.
#~     self.tidy_up()

rather than:

#~def foo(self):
    # Do it how the so-and-so wants it.
#~    self.thus_and_so()

    # And then, make sure resources get deallocated.
#~    self.tidy_up()

(Note, for increased readability, the commenting would provide:

1. extra space after "#~",
2. blank lines get commented too, and
3. comment lines without special marker get commented with special marker.)

I'm glad that commenting out the block makes the computer not need to
read it, but *I* still do! :)

By the way, since Ctrl-B is no longer mapped to a commenting command,
it seems like a natural fit for "Goto matching brace" (which is
currently not mapped to a key combination).

---John