[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Thu Jul 5 19:09:58 UTC 2007

On 7/5/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> > > Shift-Alt-L is currently used a "Line Delete" by Scintilla, but I
> > > suggest to remove the Line Delete feature (because of probably rare
> > > usage) and use Shift-Alt-L for select line.
> >
> > Actually, that's Shift-Ctrl-L to delete current line, not Shift-Alt-L
> Oops, sorry.
>
> > (and Ctrl-L cuts the line). Deleting (or else cutting) the current
> > line is very handy, IMO. Though I'm used to both GNU Emacs and GNU
> > nano using Ctrl-K for it. Ctrl-L seems more like it should be "go to
>
> The Gnome HIG says in Table 10.4 "Emacs-style navigation keys for
> widgets" Ctrl-U for delete current line.

That's odd. Might be an error. In Emacs, Ctrl-U is a prefix key -- you
usually use it to tell Emacs to do the next command <n> times:
``Ctrl-U <n> some_command``.

> It really seems there is no sane way to provide defaults to make all
> happy. Sigh.
> But we could bind Delete line or Cut line to Ctrl-K (and the other one
> to Ctrl-Shift-K or Ctrl-Alt-K, I don't care) and bind Go to line to Ctrl
> -L. What do you think?

That sounds preferable and easy to remember to me (delete line:
Ctrl-K, cut line: Shift-Ctrl-K, go to line: Ctrl-L).

> > Incidentally, I don't see "delete current line" (or "cut current
> > line") listed in Help --> Keyboard shortcuts, or in Edit -->
> > Preferences --> Keybindings. I guess those 2 places are only for
> > Geany-specific (outside of Scintilla defaults) bindings?
>
> Yes. Ctrl-L is a Scintilla binding but could be rebind by Geany (as we
> have already done for example for Ctrl-A).

I see that you can steal a key-binding from Scintilla, and have Geany
override it. But, can you re-bind some other key to a
Scintilla-specific command, such as "delete line" or "cut line"? I
don't see either of those listed in Preferences --> Keybindings.

---John