[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Jul 5 18:36:28 UTC 2007

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:47:30 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Switching between matching braces is nice but at least I
> > use it very rare. But I use duplicating lines/selection very very
> > often and I assume I get pain in my fingers if we change Duplicate
> > to Shift-Alt-C ;-).
>
> Yes, I'm finding Duplicate quite helpful also, and maybe hitting
> Shift-Alt on my ergonomic keyboard is easier than on other more
> commonly-used keyboards.
>
> > > By the way, I'm still rooting for seeing:
> > >
> > > [snip]
> >
> > > * Shift-Alt-L to select line
> > Shift-Alt-L is currently used a "Line Delete" by Scintilla, but I
> > suggest to remove the Line Delete feature (because of probably rare
> > usage) and use Shift-Alt-L for select line.
>
> Actually, that's Shift-Ctrl-L to delete current line, not Shift-Alt-L
Oops, sorry.

> (and Ctrl-L cuts the line). Deleting (or else cutting) the current
> line is very handy, IMO. Though I'm used to both GNU Emacs and GNU
> nano using Ctrl-K for it. Ctrl-L seems more like it should be "go to
The Gnome HIG says in Table 10.4 "Emacs-style navigation keys for
widgets" Ctrl-U for delete current line.
It really seems there is no sane way to provide defaults to make all
happy. Sigh.
But we could bind Delete line or Cut line to Ctrl-K (and the other one
to Ctrl-Shift-K or Ctrl-Alt-K, I don't care) and bind Go to line to Ctrl
-L. What do you think?

> Incidentally, I don't see "delete current line" (or "cut current
> line") listed in Help --> Keyboard shortcuts, or in Edit -->
> Preferences --> Keybindings. I guess those 2 places are only for
> Geany-specific (outside of Scintilla defaults) bindings?
Yes. Ctrl-L is a Scintilla binding but could be rebind by Geany (as we
have already done for example for Ctrl-A).