[Geany] Advanced Syntax Highlighting

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Jan 31 16:46:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:26:44 +0100, Vnpenguin <vnpenguin at vnoss.org>
wrote:

> On 1/31/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:39:50 +0000, Timm Preetz <timm at preetz.us>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > First of all: Thanks for the Geany, which has become my favourite
> > > editor for all kind of stuff :)
> > >
> > > There is only one thing that could be improved which I am actually
> > > thinking about, and I talked to a lot of "editor-developers".
> > >
> > > Actually I found no way to set the colours for syntax
> > > highlighting or even specify which parts should be highlighted.
> > I'm not quite sure what you mean, but you can set the colours for
> > syntax highlighting in Geany. Unfortunately, there is no GUI part
> > yet but you can change the colours by hand in the configuration
> > files for every filetype.
> > For details please have a look at
> > the documentation[1] or ask here.
> >
> > [1] http://geany.uvena.de/manual/ch04.html
> >

> Can I customize myself keyword set and their color ? I mean it's so
> cool if I can define:
>
> [keywords]
> keyword1=word1 word2 ...
> keyword2=word3 word4 ...
>
> [styling]
> color1=...
> color2=...
I hate this answer but: It depends.
Some lexers(the code in scintilla to colourise a certain filetype)
support only one type of keyword, some support some more. But most of
the lexers support only one or two keyword types and in most cases
they are preserved.
You could open a feature request on Scintilla[1] to support more
user-definable keywords for some lexers. I won't do it, sorry.

Filetypes like Lua or VHDL support many user-definable keyword types
but unfortunately not (yet) C, PHP or Python.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=2439&atid=352439