[Geany] More libvte goodness

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Jan 29 17:29:02 UTC 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:43:55 -0500, Josef Whiter <josef at toxicpanda.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm catching flack from the fedora people because of the way geany
> handles vte support.  Now I don't see anything wrong with this
> approach, but in the name of making everybody happy I have this
> proposal.  Instead of treating libvte as a plugin and doing
> g_module_open() on the library itself, how bout separating out the
> vte functionality even more into its own plugin.  So instead of doing
> a g_module_open() on libvte, you do a g_module_open() on libgeanyvte
> or whatever, and then you can compile vte support into the geany-vte
> plugin.  This keeps the same functionality as you have currently,
> where if you can't find the geany-vte plugin it doesn't matter, and
> you have better control on where that goes so you don't have to keep
> a list of libraries to lookup.  My responsibility as the fedora
> packager is simply to match what upstream has, so if you don't like
> this approach that is fine with me and everything will continue
Sorry, but I don't see the advantage.
The only thing is, that we create more code and need to handle
installation and distribution of the additional plugin.
Geany will get a plugin interface and then it will get a VTE plugin.
I.e. the current VTE code will be moved into a plugin but first when we
have a kind of plugin interface.
I really don't see any advantage in moving the code into a semi-plugin
at the moment.

Regarding your last problem, you saw that Geany builds without the
vte-devel package and "depends" only on the library itself. And since
r1229 the libvte-detection is working correctly, so why change the code?