[Geany] More libvte goodness

Josef Whiter josef at xxxxx
Thu Jan 25 17:43:55 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm catching flack from the fedora people because of the way geany
handles vte support.  Now I don't see anything wrong with this approach,
but in the name of making everybody happy I have this proposal.  Instead
of treating libvte as a plugin and doing g_module_open() on the library
itself, how bout separating out the vte functionality even more into its
own plugin.  So instead of doing a g_module_open() on libvte, you do a
g_module_open() on libgeanyvte or whatever, and then you can compile vte
support into the geany-vte plugin.  This keeps the same functionality as
you have currently, where if you can't find the geany-vte plugin it
doesn't matter, and you have better control on where that goes so you
don't have to keep a list of libraries to lookup.  My responsibility as
the fedora packager is simply to match what upstream has, so if you
don't like this approach that is fine with me and everything will
continue status quo, but if you do like this approach then it would be
helpful to me, and it could even open up the possibility of having a
broader plugin framework for geany.  Thank you,

Josef